Wednesday 9 July 2014

Moving ahead with egg donation

Well it's been a crazy month or so. We have been getting to know our egg donor and her family a lot more through messages and Skype sessions, and plan to fly interstate to visit them all in a few weeks.  We also start mandatory counselling sessions next month and will hopefully be on track for a cycle in September or October!

When we started this process I thought that the ideal situation would be to have a known donor who was happy to have regular updates (e.g. emails, messages) but our donor is such a lovely person and seems keen to have a close connection that I am happy to follow her lead and get to know each other better. I know that our egg donor will not want to be over-involved in our lives and I feel lucky to have made a close connection with such a generous and selfless person.

My main concern at this stage is obviously that this won't work and we'll have to go back to the drawing board. My second concern is that we'll be successful once and then won't be able to use the same donor again. If we're lucky enough to get one embryo to transfer and then some frozen we have no idea if these frozen embryos will work when we want to transfer them down the track. There are so many possible scenarios running through my head but I suppose that is what the counselling is for. The good thing it that my husband and I seem to be on the same page about most things and are not second-guessing our decision.

I have to say it has been quite a relief to be able to do things that I would have avoided when cycling. I've had a few weekend wines, not felt as guilty about having chocolate, enjoyed long hot baths and in general feel less like infertility is dominating every decision of my life. I feel relaxed and content- although knowing my journey so far I know those feeling are likely to be temporary.

So we wait (ahh the waiting) and hope (yep I know that one too) and just see where this takes us :)

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like things are progressing nicely! And it's wonderful that your donor is this fabulous :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so awesome you found the perfect donor!! Wishing you a lot of luck and a smooth process. Good Luck!!
    --MM29 (Mindy)

    ReplyDelete