Sunday 28 April 2013

Down regulation and the long IVF protocol

Well I've finished the first part of my IVF cycle- 'down reg'. I have been taking the pill for nearly one month and am hoping for my period to start within the next few days. I'm on a long IVF protocol- where they are basically shutting down my system for one month so that they have full control when they stimulate my system for ER (egg retrieval) next month. I have been taking Synarel nasal spray for one week (morning and night) and should continue this for at least another week as far as I know. I think the Synarel keeps me from releasing any eggs and I will stop this once they are ready to do the ER. I will have an ultrasound after my period finishes to make sure my endometrial lining is good and then I should start 'stimming' using Puregon pen injections. These injections will hopefully make me produce lots of follicles (containing the eggs). I will have an ultrasound approximately 9 days after I start the injections and they will then give me a plan for egg retrieval and hopefully embyro transfer (ET) if all goes to plan. There are a lot of 'ifs' in the whole process and each step carries its own risks that I, my eggs, my husband's sperm and/or our embryo's will not respond in the right way. I'm trying to be positive but I am also guarded. I will prepare myself for worst case scenario while hoping for the best. I think it is a better frame of mind for me to go into the whole process that way and that any good news will be a happy suprise. I've had a few side effects from the pill and Synarel spray but nothing too bad. I have been quite tired, a "little" snappy (my husband might say a lot!) and have had tenders breasts and some skin breakouts. I'm relieved that I haven't experienced nausea or headaches; which can be a side effect of the nasal spray. I'm not worried about the Puregon injections but the injections closer to the ER are supposed to be a lot more painful. I have actually found this first month pretty easy and quite exciting. I know that no matter what we are one step closer every day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment