Wednesday 18 September 2013

Picking up the pieces

It's two weeks since our negative beta and I'm starting to feel normal again. I was in a pretty bad place when I knew our second IVF had failed and I had many low moments where I would cry, and cry, and wail and cry some more. I had my sisters baby shower in the middle of this and got through it in one piece. I've become quite good at being very happy and chatty around others and then collapsing in a heap when I'm on my own and the pain and emptiness roll in. I feel sometimes like I have a knife permanently wedged in my heart and that sometimes it hurts so hard I can hardly breathe and sometimes I get used to its presence and it is just a dull ache. When I see pregnant people or babies I feel it's sharpness again, and hurtful comments twist the blade with an acute pain that throbs down to the pit of my empty tummy. My sister had her baby just after the shower and I was scared to visit her. I was worried I would be angry, or jealous, or sad, or that I would breakdown like a crazy women. I didn't visit with all the family but went by myself the next day and I was so relieved to find that the dominant emotion I felt was happiness. I enjoyed meeting my new little nephew and felt love for him and closeness to my sister. While I have still had my crap moments in the past week I have started to feel better in the last few days. I'm laughing at work rather than avoiding people for fear of crying. I'm enjoying exercise rather than doing it because I should. I'm being intimate with my husband because I feel like it. It's so freeing to be able to make love without worrying about whether it is the right time of the month...I had almost forgotten what it was like. We have decided for sure this week that we will go ahead with a double embryo transfer next month and I'm feel good about this decision after some initial hesitance. So here I am. Today I am positive and happy but even though I know that happiness doesn't last forever I also know that sadness doesn't either. Life is always changing and I hope that these difficult years will end eventually and we will have a family of our own one day.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been reading your blog for ages. You were always one step ahead of me with the tests, blood, dye, lap etc. So recognizable i found it very comforting to read i was not alone in my experience. I fell pregnant straight after my lap, 16 weeks now but i still read your blog. Please don't give up hope, you are such a nice person, amazing how you deal with your sister, that was my biggest fear after all my close friends got pregnant, that my little sister would before me. I think its cool how you cope with the hardest thing in the world. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel! It means the world to me that I can connect with other people going through this. I know people read my blog as I can track the page views but I didn't know if anyone followed me regularly. Your comment has really made my day :) This is often a very lonely experience so thank you for taking the time to write something so nice. Congratulations on your pregnancy as well :)

      Delete