Monday 9 December 2013

"Let go or be dragged"


Infertility is a heavy thing. It can be a journey marred with bitterness, heartache, loneliness, jealousy, frustration, confusion, anxiety and hopelessness. I don't think anyone could come out the other side and reflect that "it wasn't too bad". It is definitely an experience that only those who have been through could understand. I have never believed in suppressing feelings yet I also don't think that hanging onto negative feelings is a good thing. When I have been sad about my failure to get pregnant I have tried to feel the pain and then move forward. The zen proverb "let go or be dragged" was one that resonated with me a lot when I came across it about six months ago. It confirmed the importance of moving forward; of knowing that something becomes heavier the longer you carry it. It is hard to be positive sometimes (ok a lot of the time) but I know that I will be wasting opportunities to enjoy life if I keep dwelling on what I don't have instead of being grateful for what I do have. So I encourage anyone going through infertility to try and let go of the hurt wherever possible- or risk being dragged under by its heavy weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment