Wednesday 15 January 2014

DQ alpha match test results

Well we have some good news...we are not a match! It took a lot of chasing up and a phone call to the USA to track down my referring doctor but I feel so relieved to hear the news that we do not have to worry about being a DQ alpha match and can proceed with a double embryo transfer. For those who don't know what a DQ alpha match means I am probably not the best person to try and explain it. Information on Dr Sher's website discusses the potential alloimmune issues that arise from a DQ alpha match but from what I understand if the male and female have certain genes that match then an incorrect immune response occurs in the woman and she can reject the embryo or embryos. If there is a complete match then donor sperm or a surrogate is often recommended. If there is a partial match then they suggest one embryo at a time as some embryos will be affected and others won't- which means if one is affected and the mother rejects it then it is likely the other embryo will also be lost in the process. The implications of a DQ alpha match are still debated and many doctors do not believe it impacts on the likelihood of a successful pregnancy but as far as I was concerned I was going to be tested for anything I could while they still hadn't found a strong reason for our infertility. A DQ alpha match can be linked with high natural killer cells (which I tested positive for) and so it was a small win to eliminate something that had us discussing surrogacy and donor sperm. So I'm staying positive about our transfer next week. I have an ultrasound tomorrow and hope that my endometrial lining is nice and thick. I know that our chances aren't great but I'm feeling positive about 2014 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment