Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentines Day

It's interesting that trying to create a family starts with "making love" and a "we'll see how it goes" attitude and soon turns into perfectly planned baby-making efforts. A few months after we started the more flexible approach I grew impatient and- like everything else in my life- felt the need to have some control over the situation. "OK, all I need to do is work out how to do it better" I thought. I thought I was 'in-tune' with my relative regular cycle and figured that the feeling I had that I probably ovulated about a week after my period ended would be sufficient. I had a rough idea that a 28 day cycle should mean ovulation around the 14 day mark but other than that I was naively optimistic that it would all work out pretty easily. After all, I hadn't known anybody with fertility problems (or so I thought) and heard lots of stories about my friends and co-workers getting pregnant after only one or two months. "This will be easy" I told myself. Deep down I worried that it might not be so simple but brushed these thoughts aside in an effort to be positive. Fast forward a few months and its surprising how quickly BBT's, cervical mucous (CM) , cervix position, OPK's and specific details about my cycle have become a part of my day to day life. I would have flushed with embarrassment if somebody had have asked me about the colour of my AF or the viscocity of my CM but now I don't even bat an eyelid when my acupuncturist asks for these details (acupuncture info for another blog post). I'm sure there are others out there who have also developed a new vocabulary and are suddenly mini-experts in their luteal/follicular phases and know all the early pregnancy symptoms off by heart as we look for any sign in that two week wait (2WW). This Valentine's Day has made me pause and reflect on what this is all about- love. The love between my husband and I and the love we have for our future child/ren. I hope if you are reading this you also pause for a moment and give your partner a hug and kiss and tell them that you love them. They may look at you suspiciously and think you must be ovulating but trust me- you'll feel better. Happy Valentine's Day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment